Miller, Drama, War Poetry
My Sons by Arthur Miller
- What does Act I tell us about the main characters, the conflicts,
the mood and setting?
- How is the war theme explored in Arthur Miller's play and W. Owen's
- How realistic is the character, Chris?
- Is it morally acceptable for a brother to marry his deceased
brother's fiancée? Explain.
- Is it wise to keep the truth from the mother that her son is
dead and let her continue hoping?
- How would you handle the situation if you were a family member ?
1. Who is Arthur
2.Examine the title All My Sons, predict what might the play about? Write your
prediction of the play.
3. There has been a theater production based
on this play. Read the review on the play. As you start reading the play,
try to compare your critique on the play to other critics', and defend your
Part I (pages355-381)
a. Make a list of
key words that describe the stage setting, then draw the setting .On the other
side of the drawing, list all the characters' names and their relationships
among one other. Use this as your bookmark as you continue reading the
b. Describe Mr.
Keller. Draw a portrait of him using the key descriptive words as
captions of your drawing.
c. What happened to
the apple tree in Keller's yard? How does Mr. Keller associate the apple tree
with his son Larry? What happened to Larry?
d. Why did Frank say
that Larry might still be alive?
e. What kind of
relationship is there between Jim and Sue? Use some quotes (original dialogue
between the two characters) to illustrate your points.
f. Describe your
impression of Chris.
g. What game did Mr.
Keller play with the little boy Bert?
h. What seems to be
the conflicts between Chris and Mr. Keller?
i. What kind of
woman is Kate Keller?
j. What kind of role
does she play in the Keller's family?
k. Who is Ann? What
kind of relationship is there between Ann and the Keller's' family?
l. Why is she here ?
m. What seems to be
the conflicts between Chris and his mother Kate?
n. Why does Kate
insist that Larry be still alive, and Ann still in love with him? What does this
say about Kate's personality?
4. Describe the initial exposition of the play- the setting, the main characters, the mood, and the emerging
5. Read about elements
and structure in drama.
yourself with the terms about drama.
PART II (pages
What do you know about the
Read some recollection
poems written by people who were in the war.
1. How does Ann feel toward her father? What's Chris's opinions of him?
2. What could be the reasons for Mr. and Ms. Keller to defend Ann's father? How
did Mr. Keller defend Ann's father?
3. What is the purpose of Ann's visit?
4. What's the relationship between Ann and Chris?
5. Does Mr. Keller like Ann?
6. Does Kate like Ann? Explain.
7. Could you explain why Chris's attitude toward his father and the
wealth his father has made for him? Could his feelings be justified?
How does this fact reveal the kind of young man he is?
8. What news makes Mr. Keller so nervous? Why?
9. From the stage description on page 390, how would you describe the
relationship between Mr. Keller and Chris?
10. Why is Kate very nervous about George's visit?
Here is a collection of war poetry
2. Poetry on American Civil War
3. British War
4. Poetry of the First World War by
IV. Use the Discussion
Forum to share your thoughts.
V. Enrichment reading Assignment:
on Arthur Miller's plays.
Copyright © IMPACT II, The Teachers Network