The Fascinating Moon Walk
Purpose of the Project
To stimulate curiosity about space exploration on the moon. Students will use the Internet to research the astronauts' moon landing in 1969.
Teacher Steps To Prepare
- Select books about the Moon Walk and related topics for students.
- For background information read independently about the 1969 Moon Walk.
- Select software appropriate for research and time-management concerns.
- Become proficient in the use of multimedia encyclopedia and methods to access relevant information.
- Discuss what they know about the moon walk.
- Research information through multimedia encyclopedias, Internet, and books.
- Organize material, summarize it, and write a written report.
- Type reports on a computer.
- Share reports with classmates.
Standards Addressed by This Unit
- Grading of the written report.
- Group discussions.
Produce a report of information. Conduct research through use of various reference materials.
Teacher Technology Skills Required
Accessing the Internet; Using the word processor; Creating a database of questions; Previewing specific web sites from the Internet related to the moon landing in 1969
Student Technology Skills Required
Students will use the Internet and multimedia encyclopedias for research. Students will use different programs to create a database and semantic web.
Software Materials Used
Multimedia encyclopedias, Internet access, books, Apple Works, KidPics, Superprint
Space Science and Engineering
Stimulate students by asking if non-fiction is exciting? Select non-fiction books and stir excitement.
Anecdote: Students who thought that reading non-fiction would not be as interesting as fiction quickly change their minds when they read materials about the 1969 Moon Walk.