| 1. The teacher will begin by having
students recall different animal classifications. She will access
prior knowledge in regards to butterflies. According to grade
level, students will view the following butterfly web sites to
gain background knowledge:
Primary Example: Exploring Butterflies in Kindergarten
Intermediate Example: All About Butterflies
2. Students will be asked to contribute to KWL
chart on board: What do we know about the butterfly life cycle?
What do we want to learn about the butterfly life cycle?
3. Teacher will introduce the life cycle of a
butterfly. She will provide visual aids obtained from any of the
links listed below.
All About Butterflies
Children’s Butterfly Site
Exploring Butterflies in Kindergarten
4. Next, a book will be read from the Butterfly
Book List. A discussion will be lead about what we have learned.
5. Students will then complete the “What I have
Learned” part of the KWL chart.
6. Small groups of children go to computers to
complete the Butterfly Work Sheet.
7. Once life cycle is learned, move on to study
stages individually. For example, study the egg stage, then the
egg anatomy, and so forth