Create a Fall Bulletin
Board Lottie Simms
A friendly bulletin board for
back-to-school, can easily be created by you with the help of
your students. (It can also serve as a review of adjectives
in Language Arts.)
1. Cover the bulletin board in paper of any color.
2. Add a caption...suggestions: "Getting to Know You", "Meet
the Group", "We're Glad to Be Here", "World's Best Class"...
3. Each student draws a self portrait using the template
provided. It should be in full color and the student may
use other classroom supplies to add features.
4. Have the students cut out / mount their self portraits.
5. Have the students include their names and 5 adjectives to
6. Affix the portraits to the bulletin board.
1. If your bulletin board is too small for the entire class,
select 5 - 10 students to feature each week and have only their
portraits on the bulletin board.
2. Feature 3 students each week along with a piece of writing
they have completed in Language Arts.
3. Use the portraits at other times, in different displays,
to recognize student achievements. Placing the portraits next
to tests, book reports, artwork, etc, helps put a face with
4. Finally, use the portraits to identify students' desks or
portfolios at open house.