About this Daily Classroom Specials: During February, TeachersNetwork.org
focuses on African-American Heritage. This DCS is maintained by Lottie Simms, teacher at Miami Lakes Middle School (Miami, FL) and former Teachers Network web mentor.
An Internet Search Activity
Here is a fun Internet search activity for students while studying African-American history.
- Who was nicknamed "Moses" for being a conductor of the underground railroad?
- Who was the first African-American senator?
- Who invented the traffic light?
- Who was the first African-American woman to win three Olympic gold medals?
- Who was the first African-American woman astronaut to go into outerspace?
- From what country does Nelson Mandela come?
- Who was the President that passed the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
- Who invented the lawnmower?
- What is Osceola McCarty known for?
- In what year did Black History Month become a reality?
- Who was the first African-American to be honored on a U.S. postage stamp?
- Who was the first African-American congresswoman?
- Which amendment gave African-American woman the right to vote?
- Who was the African-American scientist who created synthetic physostigmine, a drug used to treat glaucoma?
- Who was born April 26, 1886 and is called the "Mother of the Blues"?
- Which jazz musicians autobiography is titled Good Morning Blues?
- Who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1950 for his United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine?
- Who is the first African-American woman pilot?
- Who started the National Skills Bank in 1962 which trains workers for the job industry?
- What was the event in which Jesse Owens broke three world records in 1935?