Freckle Juice - Lesson 3
Objective: Students will be able to:
* use simple strategies to determine meaning and increase vocabulary for reading including use of multiple meanings, synonyms, antonyms and word relations
* read text and determine the main idea
* identify relevant supporting details
* create a recipe with the ingredients and directions
* Book: Freckle Juice by Judy Blume
* White piece of paper
* Computer with Internet and word processing
* Worksheet (vocabulary)
Vocabulary: ingredients, mayonnaise, vinegar, cabinets, blur, speck
Working with words: The teacher will introduce pronouns by writing samples on the board, then monitor as students make a list of pronouns they find in chapter three. Students will go online to Pronouns and complete activities on pronouns.
Activity: The teacher will...
1. begin lesson by having the students share their prediction of chapter three. (enter predictions into computer-generated journal)
2. review vocabulary words and definitions from chapter two
3. introduce new vocabulary words and definitions for chapter three
4. give each student a white piece of paper, and have them fold it into six pieces. (students can use word processing to create a table with two columns and three rows as their boxes; then type, add clipart and graphics)
5. have students write each vocabulary word, definition and illustration in each box
6. read and discuss chapter three
7. have students go online to The Dictionary Plus to find synonyms and antonyms for their vocabulary words
8. have students go online to do a vocabulary activity, print out the worksheet and complete it
Evaluation: Students will create their own recipe for Freckle Juice; give the instructions on how to make it, work on their personality panorama and answer the following questions:
* Suppose the secret freckle recipe was healthy, what do you think would happen? Why?
* Assume that after he saw the recipe, Andrew went to Sharon for his money back and she gave it to him. How do you think he'd get his freckles? If she didn't give him his money back, do you think he'd make the same choices? Explain.
* Why do you think Andrew was so convinced that Freckle Juice would work? Explain.
* Students will use word processor to type their vocabulary words in ABC order and write a sentence for each word.
* Students will go online to Discovery Kids to create a crossword puzzle with their vocabulary.
* Students will go online to do a comprehension activity, print out the worksheet and complete it.
* Write a prediction for chapter four.
Back Home Next