Aim: Introduction to The Sonnet
Objective: Students will be able to understand the structure
of the sonnet and write about its tone and theme.
- Hand out introduction to sonnet worksheet.
- As a class, read about the history of the sonnet.
- Ask two students to read the poem (18). The purpose of this
is to hear the poem from more than one perspective.
- As a class, go through the questions and share each answer. Allow
students to express many different ideas. See sample completed worksheet.
- For HW, have students write two paragraphs reflecting the tone
and theme of the poem
- As a suplement to this lesson, follow the same format with the
poem Bright Star, by John Keats. See sample completed worksheet.
- After students write their explication
of the poem, using tone and theme as a basis, you may wish to show them
an example of a proper explication. Bright
- Note to Teacher: Students should understand
that the sonnet's format of hypothesis, thesis and conclusion is important
because poets choose this format when writing about ideas they wish
to contemplate and resolve.